301 Moved Permanently, Location: Microsoft
• Tracking Real World Web Performance
• WebPageTest Deep Dive
A few weeks ago, I began a new gig as a Program Manager on the Cross Platform and Open Tooling team at Microsoft!
Needless to say, I’m very excited about this opportunity. Let me tell you why:
- It’s a very exciting time to join Microsoft. The entire web stack is being re-done. There’s a new browser in Edge, new cross-platform web framework in ASP.NET 5 and Azure, which is technically the “oldest hat”, is still under heavy development and revs every six weeks. As a lover of the web, I can’t think of a better company to be working for right now than Microsoft.
- I’m working with a cutting edge group that embodies, perhaps more than any other team, what the “new Microsoft” is all about. Case in point: After 18+ years of successfully avoiding Apple and Mac computers, I’ve been issued a Mac Book Pro as my work machine. I’m still getting used to the OSX way of doing things, but I’m very excited to see how the other side lives. Need more proof that this team is doing something different? Well, they released Visual Studio Code, a cross platform text editor, just a few weeks ago – and that’s pretty cool.
- I’ll be working with Anthony, the co-founder of Glimpse. We’ve worked together for nearly five years now, across three different companies. If the past is any indication, we’ll be able to do great things together at Microsoft.
- My family and I get to stay put in New York city. Remote work is nothing new to me, and I’m happy that I don’t have to disrupt my family’s life to take this opportunity.
I’d also like to take a moment to thank Red Gate for the past three years. Working for them has been a joy. Not only did I get to work directly with the community to bring Glimpse to new heights, but I got to see the world speaking at tons of conferences and made many great new friends. I’ll certainly be staying in touch with everyone there and I wish them the best of luck as our paths take us in separate directions.
I’ll continue to periodically post on this blog as well as tweet @nikmd23.